- May 2019
- January 2019
- November 2018
- September 2018
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- March 2017
- January 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
Monthly Archives: September 2014
There is so much to see and do at Lancombe; so when your little ones are not busy using the pool, playing in the games room or out on family day trips to the local tourist attractions, or wonderful beaches, there’s plenty of little adventures right here on the doorstep.
There’s some fun activities and questions to complete, which can be found by clicking the ‘Go Explore’ link below.
Try out this ‘lemony’ alternative…. Delicious served with clotted cream. Mmmmmm.
225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
450g Bramley apples
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
225g caster sugar, plus extra for dredging
3 large eggs
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
25g ground almonds
1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a deep 23-24cm springform cake tin and line with baking paper. Peel, core and cut the apples into 1cm pieces, and toss with the lemon juice.
- Using an electric hand whisk, cream together the butter, caster sugar and lemon zest in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, adding a little flour with each addition to keep the mixture smooth.
- Sift the remaining flour and the baking powder into the bowl and fold in with the ground almonds. Drain the apple pieces well, then stir into the mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin, lightly level the top and sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until well-risen, brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If the cake starts to look a little too brown, cover with a sheet of baking paper after about 45 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the tin and place on a serving plate. Dredge heavily with the extra caster sugar. Cut the cake into generous wedges and serve warm with a spoonful of clotted cream.
- When booking, check the accommodation welcomes dogs, and provides necessary facilities, including exercise space.
- When preparing, bring your dog’s favourite blanket, toys, spare collars and leads. Also ensure microchip and identity tag details are up to date.
- For the journey, take plenty of water and snacks for them. Stop regularly for breaks.
- When on holiday, follow your dog’s routine where possible so they feel safe and happy.
Lancombe Country Cottages and Lodges in Dorset:
A perfect base for families with dogs.
At Lancombe Country Cottages and Lodges, we pride ourselves on being a holiday destination that is wonderfully suited to families. If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Dorset with childrens entertainment, then this is certainly a great place to come.
When planning your time with us, here’s our hot list of ‘things to do’ for the little ones, if you want to keep them entertained onsite.
- Pool fun!
Lancombe’s indoor heated swimming pool is plenty big enough for all the kids to enjoy splashing around in and also has lots of inflatables to have fun with. What’s more, the pool is indoors, and it’s heated too, so no matter the weather, it’s perfect.
- Games Lodge
The games lodge is situated in a great position. It overlooks the gorgeous countryside, but is also far enough away that laughter and fun will not be distracting to other guests! So it’s a brilliant place for the children to hang out. There’s a table football, air hockey, books and games. It’s new to Lancombe and there’s been plenty of enjoyment so far.
- The Fairy Trail
Little fairies fill our woodland walk with their magic. Send your little ones on an adventure to see if they are able to spot the little houses amongst the trees.
- Egg Gathering
The children will very much enjoy meeting our clucking residents; and we’re always happy to have little helpers when we’re gathering up the fresh chicken eggs.
- Joining us at a festive time?
We at Lancombe love to make a bit of a fuss of the festive seasons. So if you’re joining us around Easter, Halloween or Christmas, then expect some surprises!
- DVD and Games Library
If you want a little family time, to relax in your accommodation, the DVD and Games Library is sure to have something on offer.
- Free Play
There’s plenty of space at Lancombe. Your children are very welcome to play in the woodlands, the orchard, or the courtyard.